High Adventure Hike (written by Joe!)


Day 1
Rain rain rain. We woke up to soggy conditions. We all gathered at the
church house to meet up and leave at 6:30 am then made our way to the
hilltop Sinclair near Ririe to pickup cameron. On our way we came to
foggy cloudy mountains. At the trailhead we divided the food and then
made our way to the start of the trail.


On our way the trail was muddy
and all the brush that you had to walk through was wet from the rains
the night before which made our pants wet from the waist down as we
trudged though the mud. After a long two hours we made it to camp
which rewarded us with soggy ground and wet firewood. All was not bad
though because that hike was suppose to take roughly four hours.


then got some wet wood burning enough to make a hot dog lunch that was
suprisingly good. There we met our camphost who was kind enough to
continually look after us who we dubbed Alec. Alec was a chipmunk who
could entertain and amaze us just like the real Alec back home. Soon
after having our bellies full we played on a rock hill, which between
the eight of us, we manage to toss half the hillside down to the
bottom of the pit despite our long journey. Amazing what full stomachs
can do.



We then setup our tents and did various things to pass the
time, I proceeded to make a bow and arrow from some string that was
left there by other campers which was about the same time a large doe
wandered into camp. Its to bad my makeshift bow couldnt shoot more
than twenty feet because if it did we could of had deer steaks for
dinner. At that time I made a mental weapons check. I recall our
camp having at least three pocket knives one regular hatchet one
throwing hatchet three mutli tools two bayonets a machete and one bow
and arrow, hehe nice. Around five we decided it would be best to
gather more wood and filter some water for dinner. At this time
heading to the water a big rainstorm came through that soaked
everything, we were soaked, soaked. Not to be discouraged we
gathered our pieces of wet fire wood and made a second run for water.
For dinner we had some mountain house chili mac and some teriyaki
chicken. Neither were that good but a hot meal after the rainstorm was
amazing. We then got our dishes clean and went for another water run.
At the lake we saw a deer, moose and some ducks lounging in our
drinking water of all places. Everything was so wet that a piece of
paper thrown in the fire coals took more that a minute to finally
start to burn. We ended our night around a dimming campfire enjoying
stories from encampment and other various things like who makes the
best truck and such, they’ll never listen.



Day 2
Everyone slept well and i amazingly got more that nine hours myself.
Soon tents slowly were shuffling about as you could tell some of the
boys were cold but more so hungary Another wet wood fire was made to
warm us up and the boys started in on breakfast. I tell you what,
that is a another long two hours to get that done. Ken set us up good
with eggs hashbrowns and sausage. After cleaning up breakfast more and
more hikers would come through on there way to the lakes. We then
packed lightly for a day hike to the upper lake that for me was a
killer for some reason. On our way we were again rewarded by seeing a
BIG bull moose hanging out in the stream, amazing.




At that lake we
stopped for lunch and then the boys went for a swim. Somehow Alec met
us at the lake too. We enjoyed some granola bars and chips to keep us
alive. I pretended my food was delicious number 18 from the Sandwich
tree in idaho falls, Yum. What a great day out by the lake but, as I
write at 3:05 pm omninous clouds are moving in, wonderful.
As the sound of thunder could be heard coming from the other side of
the mountain we hurriedly grabbed our packs as fast as one young
leader one old leader and six teenage boys could. The silver lining to
the this thunder storm was that we actually enjoyed the light
sprinkles and mountain breeze that kept us cool and any bugs away.
Ken was kind enough to show me what berries I could eat and the ones I
shouldn’t eat, thank you very much. As we made our way back to
camp Ken and I picked up some firewood along the trail that was dry
and to add it to our growing stockpile. Always remember that wet wood
doesn’t burn very well.


I’m not for certain how long we were gone but when we made it back to
camp we must of past through some sort of alternate dimension bacause
our small camp now had tripled in population. We had scout troops,
fathers with there sons, even a family with toddler and two giant
dogs. There were even camps setup on the outskirts of the campsite.
One family decided to camp a few hundred yards away on the side of the
mountain. We had people coming through on horses and some hauling
logs, when I say hauling logs I mean four men carrying two logs
straight through camp. One gentlemen walked his mountain bike though,
HOW DID HE GET HIS BIKE UP THERE ANYWAY! All that we were missing is
some sort of covered wagon. Our small camp was now thriving, bummer.
The nice thing about having our camp set up is that we didn’t have to
scramble to get things in order before the daylight was gone. All we
needed was some water for dinner and a match for the fire. In fact we
had the time to talk about math of all things. We had all looked at
this particular tree and wondered wether or not that if it fell would
it or would it not land on Kens sleeping bag. Soon the boys were
talking about trigonometry, right angles, sine and cosines and there
own favorite ways to figure them out. Who were these boys.


This night we dined on dehydrated spagetti with questionable meat sauce
and rice with stuff that is suppose to be chicken. Tasty after a long
day and Not bad for two small stoves and river water. Again for
another night we gathered around the campfire and reminisced about
school days, our favorite places to be and Kens mission experiences.
Another great night of laughs and fellowship. With all the camps
around we kept it to a dull Roar till about ten when each of us
dropped off one by one to find our beds for the night.


Day 3
Morning came early for me when I awoke to a animal thundering past my
tent. As I buried my face on my arms thoughts of a moose stepping on
me ran through my head. Luckily, it was only the great Dane our new
neighbors had brought the night before. Lucky for him my trusty bow
was not in arms reach. Once again the chill of the morning was able
to get most of us out of bed to make our way to the fire that slowly
crackled. As water came to a slow boil for our oatmeal we slowly came
together to exchange pleasentries and witty banter. After we ate our
first breakfast we eagerly awaited our second one that would consist
of pancakes, syrup, sausage, candy, fruit rollups, and granola bars.
How did the bears not find us? After sitting on a log long enough for
some of my body to go numb everyone finally got enough pancakes and I
caught a break from flapjack duty. Then one young man who shall
remain nameless showed signs of life and joined us. This young man
slept through all the other camps leave, kids crying and having his
tent dropped on him. At least he didn’t get Kens wake up call that
consists of a bucket of cold river water.

While we were breaking camp the trail to the lakes seemed to get more
and more traffic with day hikers. Soon we started filling our
backpacks with our gear. Before we left another doe wandered through
camp just as my bow was securily packed away. Next time Bambi. On our
way down we had to dodge the many hikers and horses coming up that
were on the trail at the same time. I had to wonder what the other
people thought when I was coming down the trail all scuffy with my
camo hat and back all hunched from my pack carrying a bag full of
garbage, good thing I didn’t have the machette too. On the way out I
took the time to actually enjoy the scenery and snapped some pictures
while taking in the cool mountain air, awesome.


Loading up in the cars we shared some more ribbing to each other and made our way out to the square ice cream store for our cold treat. We all took Cameron home to rigby and wished him well before we made our way for home.
I learn alot of things on this trip. First, Ibuprofen works just as
good in the mountains, second, everyone needs to go off the grid
every once in awhile and lastly, these young men are capable of far
more then we ever give them credit for, they are caring, hardworking
and every bit the Scout Law.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s