I have another recipe that I wanted to write down so I don’t forget about it. I found the frosting for this recipe on Pinterest and then made a few adjustments of my own. There’s a recipe for the actual cake, but I went the easy route and used a boxed lemon cake mix. Mine was Western Family brand and it was on sale for 99 cents. Here’s the frosting recipe, with my changes in parenthesis:
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (I left this out!)
- 2 teaspoons thawed lemonade concentrate (I used about 3-4 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I was out of this, so left it out too)
- 8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (mine wasn’t less-fat)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I used about 1 1/2 cups)
A lot of the reviews said that the recipe was too sweet for a lemonade cake, and you can see that I made quite a few changes with my version. I was a little worried about it being too tart, but I think it was just about perfect.
To prepare frosting, place 2 tablespoons butter and the next 4 ingredients (2 tablespoons butter through cream cheese) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, and beat at low speed just until blended (do not over-beat). Chill 1 hour. Here’s the link to the original recipe.
And since no post is complete without a picture or two…
Let me know what you think of the Lemonade Cake if you try it!